Ace on the House Premier

Ace on the House Premier

In the inaugural episode of Ace on the House, Adam welcomes special guest Nick Offerman to talk about woodworking, and answer your home improvement questions.

Adam welcomes Nick Offerman to the show, who you may recognize from Parks & Recreation on NBC, but is also a legitimate woodworker. Adam describes himself as being more on the home improvement side, whereas Nick is more about the work-shopping.

Adam offers some practical advice on having the correct tools on hand in your house. The guys then jump into some listener calls. Adam talks to a guy trying to install a French Door, and also discusses painting instead of staining your floors. Adam also talks about his favorite tools, and suggests flipping through a woodworking magazine to find unique ways to improve your workbench.

Nick brought in some canoe paddles he’s been working on, and talks to Adam about how he made them. Nick also says that his workshop keeps him grounded, and he never expected to end up in show business. Adam talks about experiencing something similar, and explains that his genes are not the party social type.

Other calls Adam takes include a woman who doesn’t know where to start on her fixer-upper, and a guy whose friend has an animal in the wall. Wrapping things up, Adam and Nick talk about their houses, and discuss different ways to improve an outdoor deck.

Watch Nick on Parks and Recreation. Season Premiere is January 20th at 9:30pm on NBC.

You can also find out more about Nick’s wood working at: OffermanWoodshop.com

Audio Engineer/Audio Show Builder: Katie Levine
Production Engineer: Logan Moy
Phones: Brian Meyer
Web Engineering: Sandy Ganz

Tags: , , ,

57 Responses to “Ace on the House Premier”

1. Capt
    2011/01/14 at 10:10 pm #

This will be one of the most educational series of shows ever…

Home Depot and Lowes will benefit from all us rushing out to buy stuff but they won’t sponsor the show because Adam will be sure to mock them every chance he gets…

Goods Times

2. Pliny the Elderberry
    2011/01/14 at 11:08 pm #

Yeah, I noticed the “ACE educational” too. And actually, it was.

About sponsors: tobacco, whiskey and other drugs. Add in a wholesale burl supplier so we can carve bowls — that’s a recipe for money.

• jake f
      2011/01/15 at 1:49 pm #

ahh, Russian River Brewing Co. nice name.

3. happy camper
    2011/01/15 at 5:11 am #

thank you for reading my mind. I was hoping for a while that you’d do another ‘ace on the house’ episode of the podcast. but to make its own regular thing? the word ‘inspired’ comes to mind. here’s to many more episodes!

4. cheflarz
    2011/01/15 at 6:40 am #

Hey ACE BTL’s thanks for this show. I have been looking forward to this show. I have an old house in the Mid-West that is a Moroon house. The original house was built in 1920 and through the years owners would add more on and more on. Lots of unusual crappy construction techniques.

5. Jim
    2011/01/15 at 7:17 am #

As a builder, for me this is the perfect combination. Ace and building mixed for a perfect blend of nasally sawdust. I now have no choice but to get it on!!

6. spamy
    2011/01/15 at 7:28 am #

Thanks for bringing back ace on the house. it was missed.

Can you discuss when to move out vs. when to invest in an old house (say +100 years). what are all the variables to consider? return on investment, sure; but what else?? My wife and i are struggling with this issue and it’s driving us crazy.

7. Nate
    2011/01/15 at 7:55 am #

this should be a nice little ad grab for the network, and an easy 60-70 minutes a week for Adam. And even though I’ve never used a power tool other than a drill, since it’s Adam, I’ll be listening for sure.

8. Mitch
    2011/01/15 at 9:57 am #

I was a huge fan of the TLC show. I don’t really improve much in my old rented house but I like to hear ACE talk about shit that I should be doing.

9. Mary
    2011/01/15 at 11:06 am #

I don’t do home improvement, but I’ll listen to Adam talk about anything (except cars).

10. Bunker
    2011/01/15 at 11:47 am #

Loved the show. Hope this continues.

11. JR
    2011/01/15 at 12:49 pm #

ACE
    Great show, I am an architect in Jersey and own a 1920′s house which I have restored, scratch that, restoring. Great to hear your take on home improvement. If you ever need an imput from an dopey architect just shoot me a line. Keep it up

12. Scott bohlen
    2011/01/15 at 12:57 pm #

Great podcast! I was a caller (door pulled off hinges in York PA) but I must not have made the cut. Was amazing to have spoken to Adam live…
    Keep raising the bar on podcasting ace!

13. Aaron K.
    2011/01/15 at 12:58 pm #

ACE ON THE HOUSE IS AWESOME!!!!

Nick was a great guest… I’d like to see Eric Stromer on sometime…

This is awesome, keep it up guys!

14. Minesh
    2011/01/15 at 1:03 pm #

Listened online, but the show’s not showing up on itunes yet. Donny!

• Ken
      2011/01/15 at 9:37 pm #

iTunes requires a podcast have several episodes up before it’s submitted.

15. ttamnoswad
    2011/01/15 at 1:22 pm #

The deal with painting floors is that you have to use oil paint. Its better, it soaks into the grain, its has a harder surface to walk on compared to latex.

I painted my apartment floor black latex to avoid the fumes….the shit scratches and is so soft that it peels up in huge sheets because of the condition of the water damaged wood substrate. I should have used oil…it would have soaked in and not peeled.

Now that the EPA has banned oil based paint….you cant just go to home depot and buy oil based floor paint anymore.

16. Kevin
    2011/01/15 at 2:48 pm #

When I’m not living my life a quarter-mile at a time I’ll be listening to and enjoying this new podcast. Way to get it on Ace. Nick is a great guest, I hope he can make it quite often.

17. Rick
    2011/01/15 at 3:44 pm #

We enjoyed the show, but I was really sorry my call (the air compressor question) didn’t make the cut. I’ll try to do better next time.

Hai.

18. Felipe
    2011/01/15 at 4:28 pm #

I have been hoping this podcast would come back. One of my favorite ace projects which says a lot. Everything he does is solid gold. I am yet to be disapointed by an ace product.

19. Capt
    2011/01/15 at 6:34 pm #

Those canoe paddles are the BOMB

un-fucking believable!

That’s just a work of art….

20. Ken
    2011/01/15 at 9:46 pm #

Get It On! Love that Ace on the House is back. Definitely agree with those clamoring for Eric Stromer. He gets along great with Adam, knows his shit and is super awesome in person.

21. nater
    2011/01/16 at 6:50 am #

Loving a new show Ace! That was some odd advice given to the guy replacing an existing window w/a door. Said window already has proper load bearing header. Second, he should remove inside molding and measure from trimmer to trimmer for rough opening and not romove them. This measurment is what he takes to Home Dumpster and buys. Lastly, 5 feet is a really narrow freedom door and setting those hinges is not a walk in the park, but may ultimately look better and feel wider than a slider; they are MUCH easier to install.

Having said that, I’d hate to be in a boat with paddles I’d built. Wow Nick, truly beautiful.

22. Joe
    2011/01/16 at 12:02 pm #

Ace, Great show keep up the good work. Please find a way to get Nick Offerman on Ace Broadcasting more often. But only if he grows his stash!

23. Mark
    2011/01/16 at 12:28 pm #

Adam, just curious..why don’t you have a contractors license in CA?

24. victor
    2011/01/16 at 5:48 pm #

wtf? is up with itunes?

• ahcast
      2011/01/16 at 8:19 pm #

Should be fine on regular iTunes, mobile devices still seem to be giving Apple some issues. I have ask to manually refresh the feed, so hopefully will be up for mobile/ipad Monday when they come in.

Sandy

25. Scotty T
    2011/01/16 at 8:23 pm #

Get it on! Great to have the show back. Nick is great. Keep it up.

26. Jimmy
    2011/01/17 at 6:53 am #

Hi Adam, I listen to all of your podcasts religiously, but I’m super excited about Ace on the House! I’m a 30 yr old artist living in Ohio, and a bunch of my friends are into rehabbing houses and fixing up old motorcycles.

My wife and I bought a 100 year old storefront that was abandoned, and we completely gutted it and re-designed it from the joists up. I acted as general contractor and got the job done in 4.5 months which was crazy. About lost it a few times. We had contractors for major systems, but I did the flooring, insulation, trim, built-ins, cabinets, and just finished the garage by myself.

I love listening to you bitch about inspections. We had to do all of them…

check out before and after pics:

27. Bob L
    2011/01/17 at 7:18 am #

Adam and the gang. Loved the podcast. Nick Offerman was a great first guest and gave the podcast a genuine feel.

28. Handsome Man Discount
    2011/01/17 at 1:39 pm #

Love the show!! Great guest too. Thanks sharing your badd-assery Ace Man!

29. Nick
    2011/01/17 at 2:27 pm #

Offerman should be a regular, at least once a month.

30. SteveC
    2011/01/17 at 2:46 pm #

Of all the power tools I’ve ever showed to my wife, the oscillating spindle sander is the only one that made her say “COOL TOOL!”.

31. mike holmes
    2011/01/17 at 6:55 pm #

ace, not with you on the painted floor, why not refinish? looks way better, and wears better

32. Megan F
    2011/01/17 at 7:28 pm #

I swear when I said I wanted more “Ace on the House” or guests like Nick Offerman I had no Idea I’d be getting an Ace on the House WITH Nick Offerman the very same week. Who could ask for anything more? Love hearing tips from someone who has hands on experience and wisdom to share on a subject I really enjoy.

Love the pictures too!

33. Toecutter
    2011/01/17 at 9:06 pm #

Nick should be the co-host of this podcast. I feel like between Ace and Nick there isn’t a carpentry question out there that they couldn’t answer with confidence. Stromer is great too. In my perfect world all three of them co-host this podcast, thus making it the most entertaining, and also most helpful and informative form of media on the subject of building. I hope Ace Broadcasting pursues this to build it into what it has the potential to be. Thank you, that is all.

34. nathan
    2011/01/17 at 9:50 pm #

How about a little Eric Stromer?

35. Cathy
    2011/01/18 at 4:28 am #

Love it!

36. Heather
    2011/01/18 at 9:49 am #

I LOVE Ace on the House. I mean, I love Ace everything in general but I’ve been waiting YEARS for more home improvement stuff! Thanks Aceman!!

37. JasonFromCA
    2011/01/19 at 2:53 am #

Sweet!!!

38. matt54
    2011/01/19 at 3:02 pm #

Great first show, please have Nick back often!

39. Susan In L.A.
    2011/01/19 at 3:28 pm #

So happy it’s back! Thrilled to see close-ups of the much-discussed painted floors, too. Thanks, Ace.

40. Nate "the 24 ounce Hammer"
    2011/01/20 at 5:57 am #

Get it on!!
    Love this new podcast. The first Ace on the house was one of the reasons I started listening to Adam, and now I’m in for everything Carolla.
    Who needs co-workers to talk to when you have the Ace in your head!

One point of interest:
    To address Ace’s issue with the bar at the bottom of the tv screen when you rewind the DVR… With DirecTV if you hit the Exit button it goes away immediately.

That bar drives me crazy. No reason to make it stay up there so long.

41. Kain
    2011/01/20 at 12:22 pm #

Nice show more Ace and it involves buiding! love it

42. Roland3337
    2011/01/20 at 8:37 pm #

Great show, ACE! Looking forward to more, of course. Made me want to finally buy a sander.

43. zintradi
    2011/01/21 at 1:47 pm #

you didn’t post a pic of the joint that was used to join the Cherry tip to the yellow cedar paddle…

• Justin
      2011/01/26 at 9:29 pm #

I would love to see that joint, ACE man!

44. kevinandjudy
    2011/01/21 at 11:02 pm #

longtime fan. just discovered this program and i must say you are spot on with all your info and suggestions, as usual. i am already eager to hear the next episode. by the way if you guys ever need the input from the sales side of things i have been in the lumber sales business for about 15 years now. so lets start hearing more about the smaller chains and less about the big box stores.
    luv ya ace

45. Ivan
    2011/01/22 at 5:06 pm #

Great show.

46. The Ad Man
    2011/01/24 at 9:52 am #

Good show guys. Speaking as a long time listener from the smartest city :) I like the show, keep it up this is good to hear for all of us at all levels of the gig. (and I’m one of those that buys rough exotic woods in quarters – it goes up to 8/4 even :)

Thanks for the show.

47. Vladdy
    2011/01/24 at 1:46 pm #

ACE!! Great shows so far. I have been a big fan for a long time and always enjoyed your view on life, liberty and the ability to “GET IT ON!!”

Since you do not have a place to submit questions, might as well do it here.

Do you have any favorite architects or architectural styles? Is that profession disappearing or do we still need architects to review code, zoning, etc…

Thanks and keep up the good work,
    Vladdy

48. Dustin from BC
    2011/01/25 at 7:31 pm #

Absolutely loving Ace on the House, rapidly becoming my favorite Ace network show.

Agree with the retro tool idea, better yet why not just reproduce some of the cool old models? Would be pricey, but I bet connaeseur craftsmen out there like Nick would pay up for old school quality. My most prized tool is one inherited from my grandfather, a 1500 lb 1947 Rockwell lathe that he purchased new after WW2. Other than a drive belt replacement sometime in the 70s, all it’s ever required is lubrication. That kind of quality is unheard of anymore.

As for the lumber deal, the problem is the softwood you were buying not the “quarter” system. Most west coast softwoods are milled very scant to begin with, so even when rough a 4/4 board is sometimes barely a nominal inch, then it gets worse when kiln drying. You’ll find most if not all hardwood sold on the quarter will be of accurate (sometimes generous) dimension. I should know, work for a major North American distributor.

49. TheCanadian
    2011/01/26 at 4:46 pm #

Hey guys,
    If you liked this show, search out When Nick was a guest on the main “Adam Carolla Show” podcast… The story about trying to drill a hole with a paddle-bit in a router may be one of the funniest things us woodworkers ever hear!
    (Donnie, get him to tell that story in a future episode! Hilarious!)

But the reason I’m writing is because I got an email from Fine Woodworking saying “watch us on Martha Stewart”
    CLICK
    And its Nick Offerman showing how to make paddles!

50. Green Nibbler
    2011/01/27 at 8:35 pm #

Anything you can get your hands (or ears) on from the Ace-Man is guaranteed pure entertainment! This pod-cast is no exception.. I’ve listened to every podcast from day one for The Adam Carolla Show, Carcast, Ace on the House and got the audio book and cant get enough of this quick witted hilarity.. Keeps me going on what would otherwise be a monotonus day working in front of my computer.. Hope to see more On the House episodes soon.. One of your many biggest fans.. The Green Nibbler..:)