Coming out of the Closet

Coming out of the Closet

Adam talks with a caller about building a new staircase in a 100-year Victorian home, and also gives tips on creating your own home security system.

Adam discusses the work being done in our new production space. Right now the place is in it’s opening stages, but Adam explains the rough beginnings as he tries to figure out the rooms and hallways. Adam then jumps on the lines to discuss small homes and the impact of mirrors. He also gives ‘the tip of all tips’ and talks about his ‘badass tools’.

Another caller discusses re-doing a 100-year-old Victorian home, wanting to build a staircase to go down in the basement. Adam talks about the strange European hinges, and also suggests looking at The Munsters for inspiration. There’s also a discussion about how to deal with people you can’t understand.

Other topics on today’s podcast including removing paint from sidewalks, realigning doors, and room insulation. Adam also hears about the Isaac Hayes estate sale, and gives tips on creating your own home security system.

Associate Producer: Katie Levine
Phones: Brian Meyer
Web Engineering: Melanie de Jonge

Tags: , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Coming out of the Closet”

1. Carlo
    2011/01/29 at 12:23 am #

Really enjoy this series. Thanks Ace!

2. len r.
    2011/01/29 at 3:47 am #

I’m loving Ace on the House! Glad you guys brought it back…

3. Tolley
    2011/01/29 at 5:07 am #

Thanks for getting this podcast up again, Love it!!

4. Dan Freeman
    2011/01/29 at 6:41 am #

Love the show. What time and day do you take questions? How do I reach the podcast?

• Flatulator
      2011/01/29 at 8:08 am #

You need to follow Adam on Twitter. He sends out a tweet with the number.

• Dan Freeman
        2011/01/29 at 9:00 am #

Cool, thanks.

• Jim
      2011/01/30 at 12:36 pm #

Follow ace broadcasting on twitter. They tweet the times to call in.

5. nater
    2011/01/29 at 7:26 am #

Get it on!
    Done correctly, those mirrored closet doors are great. The after market kits slide veeery smoothly.

6. JohnB
    2011/01/29 at 11:03 am #

Is this eventually going to be on video too? I think this would make a great fix-t/funny show, ala The Adam Carolla project, which was awesome.

7. Braying Sports Aficionado
    2011/01/29 at 12:46 pm #

Where are the pics of the new studio? Donde esta?

8. Fred G Sanford
    2011/01/30 at 6:15 am #

Yeah wheres the studio pictures? have you had too much Jeremiah weed?

9. Jim
    2011/01/30 at 12:33 pm #

Awesome show. I do a lot of crown and like the miter better but it does take a bit of practice. I turned left against a red light this morning and felt so liberated. Sticken it to the man!! Thanks Ace for freeing me. 10 years of your dads therapy could not have opened my spirit to that level. Get it on!!!

10. martin
    2011/01/30 at 5:41 pm #

i havent listened to this episode yet but in picture #5 is says crown molding. it looks more like a base molding, doesn’t it?!

anyways, get it the fuck on!!!

11. SJohnson
    2011/01/31 at 6:55 am #

I love this show. I am a female, unhandy, and really don’t have too much to do in the home improvement department but this show is so entertaining. Adam is at his best here especially compared to the ACP. On the ACP he’s constantly talking about rich white guy problems or rehashing the same stories again and again; however on this show, he’s relate-able and funny again.

Thanks for such a great show!

12. TFan
    2011/01/31 at 8:08 am #

You should tweet when calls are being taken from the AceOnTheHouse account. I don’t follow the other Twitter account on my phone because of too many “Get It On” tweets.

• ahcast
      2011/01/31 at 10:14 am #

I will have the Tweeters make that happen. I don’t think they even knew that the Ace on the House account was set up.

Sandy

13. Keith
    2011/01/31 at 10:09 am #

Adam you’re a pro at saying caulk. I kept waiting for you to say cock, but you didn’t do it. Get it ON!

14. matthew
    2011/01/31 at 11:49 am #

Ace

FYI. Archduke Franz Ferdinand was killed in Sarajevo on June 28th 1914. Enjoying the show

15. Kevin
    2011/01/31 at 2:18 pm #

Love the show and can’t wait to get it ON! I’m going to be grading my yard, building a patio, and tearing out a deck. I love hearing this show and getting ideas.

16. martin
    2011/01/31 at 9:22 pm #

this might be the dumbest question ever but what time can people call in? what time is the show on saturdays?

17. Russ
    2011/02/01 at 12:31 pm #

fucking awesome idea about the nailer for the crown molding…. brilliant.

18. Eric
    2011/02/03 at 2:28 pm #

Adam, thanks for this series. I’ve been impatiently waiting ever since the premiere episode. My dad is a contractor who I’ve worked with for most of my life and I love hearing the callers problems, ideas, and the general shooting the shit that happens on the podcast.

Keep up the great work.

19. Daren
    2011/03/08 at 5:43 pm #

I love your shows. I’m a bit of a perfectionist myself. This makes me feel like an asshole, but here goes. Your picture is definitely mitered base moulding and not coped crown. Crown is cut upside down because it allows you to hold it up against both the fence and the saw table. The fence acts as the wall and the table acts as the ceiling. For a coped corner you cut the first piece square, or a slight back cut, and the second piece gets a 45 as if you were doing a inside miter. Oh and drywall comes in 54″ widths as well to accommodate for ceilings slightly over 8′ and two sheets will do 9′ walls. One other thing, your nailer for crown is called a frieze board.

Get it on Ace man.

20. David
    2011/03/16 at 12:15 pm #

Hi,

How ‘bout a show idea/subject for Ace On The House?

I’m building a steam shower in a new bathroom and was hoping for some comment.

In short, I’ve converted a bedroom into a bathroom and built a stall shower that’s sealed for use with a steam generator.

Construction details:

Stall Shower size 4’ x 5’

2×4 constructions w/ 30” glass door and tilted ceiling (2”per foot).

Walls are insulated w/ R-13

Wall build up is: Green Board followed by Peel-n-Stick (Storm Gard) roofing material for waterproofing (PLEASE COMENT)

on ALL sides and ceiling followed by mud and then tile. This room is basically a concrete shell with a waterproof burier.

(Please comment on this construction)

Steam generator is a Thermasol PRO-240

Love the show and network; not a bad show in the bunch.

Hope to hear this soon…I’ve built it; just want some peace of mind.

David

P.S. Love the SCCA/race car stuff. I raced SCCA and IMSA in the 80’s with the guys you speak with often.

21. birthday presents avatar
    2011/11/19 at 7:31 pm #

Good checking out this particular website.

22. infesters
    2011/12/01 at 4:27 pm #

This scary winning in place will be unparalleled, and i are stuffed with wonder any early morning lake realize that I’ve got completed it.–Lytton Strachey (1880–1932), Engl

23. nosiest
    2011/12/01 at 10:21 pm #

Many thanks to acquire spreading this data. Nevertheless it’ll be actually wonderful for getting some more particulars!

24. funny unique gifts
    2012/01/12 at 5:58 pm #

This really is brilliant media. We appreciate you revealing the item together with all of us!

25. spy omega
    2012/01/13 at 4:15 pm #

This provides some very nice Pokerschools over the net Master the item with no own Money then Begin to Enjoy!

26. incautious
    2012/06/26 at 4:48 pm #

I discovered the next few paragraphs saved and i really liked what Someone said. will surely save it too and as well experience a person’s other articles later.

27. You are really a excellent webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a fantastic process in this subject!

28. Mold inspection NJ
    2013/04/14 at 2:41 pm #

UGH! This is why I don’t post on blogs. Where did my comment go?

29. further information on trailer hitches
    2013/12/20 at 11:02 am #

There are some attention-grabbing points in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them close to heart. There may be some validity however I will take hold an opinion until I look into it further. Great site, thanks and we want more! Added to my Feedburner account as well.

30. View Details
    2013/12/20 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks for this high quality and effective information.