What’s in your Toolbox?

What’s in your Toolbox?

On this week’s Ace on the House, Adam gives advice on leaky roofs and air compressors. He also talks about his dog, and rants about the Homeland Security color alert system.

Toolbox

Before hopping on the phones, Adam talks about what types of tools you should keep around the house. He also talks to a couple guys whose kids have destroyed door hinges and the carpet. Adam gives a quick update on his dog Molly, and brings The Professor in to help with some electrician advice.

Homeland Security

Adam takes a call from someone with termites in the walls and a leaky roof. His advice is to get the house tented, and perhaps consider buying a new roof if it’s really so old. He also speaks with someone who works in Multimedia for Homeland Security, and goes on a rant about how ridiculous the color alert system is.

Day Laborers

Other calls involve a discussion of Mike Holmes, who Adam says is at the very least a knowledgeable blowhard, and a guy with a splash back problem in his kitchen. Lastly, Adam discusses the advantages to having an air compressor in your home, and talks with a guy about the best way to handle day laborers.

Associate Producer: Katie Levine
Web Engineering: Sandy Ganz

Tags: , , , , ,

49 Responses to “What’s in your Toolbox?”

1. MK
    2011/01/22 at 12:24 am #

I really don’t know much about tools/building/construction but Ace on the House is still very interesting. I definitely hope Adam keeps up with this show.

Keep up the good work

2. Aaron K.
    2011/01/22 at 12:51 am #

LOVE this show. Keep up the great work!

3. spamy
    2011/01/22 at 8:59 am #

Would love to have Gerhard Reinke (Josh Gardner) as a guest. I’m sure he has many insights into German construction. please please please get him on!

4. Kyle
    2011/01/22 at 12:43 pm #

I’m a commercial electrician, but ive done enough residential in old relatives houses to know a cheap easy way to fix the ungrounded receptacle problem and still be safe. If you install a GFCI as the first outlet in the circuit, and make sure that only that outlet is grounded (and easy way to do this is to intercept the circuit right at the panel and install a GFCI right there) you can feed out of the load side of the GFCI and be covered as far as not having a ground due to the operation of how GFCI devices work. Have Adam call me!

• JLV
      2011/01/23 at 2:06 pm #

A standard 120VAC GFCI receptacle looks for current imbalance between phase and the grounded conductor (neutral). While having a ground would be nice, it is not critical for the GFCI to operate.

Another option would be to use a GFCI circuit breaker in the breaker panel and then replace all of the receptacles with updated ones with ground.

Either option will require the use of stickers on the replaced receptacles stating GFCI protected, no ground.

• Ace of None
        2011/02/05 at 12:36 pm #

I second that. GFCI doesn’t require a ground, so just replace the receptacle supplied by the home run with the GFCI and the rest with three prong receptacles. Easiest way to find the home run receptacle is the to turn off a circuit, find all the now de-energized receptacles and remove them and any splices, so that when you safe them off and turn the breaker back on, the only junction box with any energized wires will be the home run.

5. Hopper
    2011/01/22 at 4:27 pm #

Great show. Heard a radio version here that focused on HVAC & dryer vents. That’s a subject you need to tackle Aceman. Important stuff. Bring in an expert if needed.

6. Ron
    2011/01/22 at 5:37 pm #

What is the podcast feed URL? I use a podcast aggregator instead of iTunes

Thanks

• JP
      2011/02/06 at 10:38 am #

I had to subscribe via iTunes to get the actual feed URL, but here you go:

• ahcast
      2011/02/06 at 7:52 pm #

JP is correct, and all ACE shows have an RSS icon at the top right of the web page (usually). AotH does as well. You can right click to get the link or what ever the equivalent is on the Mac.

Sandy

• JP
        2011/02/07 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks Sandy, my old work browser didn’t let me see the RSS icon.

7. Jim
    2011/01/22 at 7:26 pm #

Get day laborers to save a buck and screw the local contractors out of a few bucks so they don’t eat at your favorite restaurant and it goes out of business and they put another Subway there. The day laborers spend their money to bring more relatives here illegally to do more cheap work and put more places out of business until the state is nothing more than a taco shop, a 99 cent store, and a carniceria on every corner, all run under the table. Hmm, ever wonder why there’s no tax money to fix the potholes?

• Bobman
      2011/01/23 at 6:16 am #

HAHA, yeah, because the contractors don’t just hire illegal laborers anyway.

8. Kanaloa
    2011/01/22 at 10:12 pm #

Jimmy, you’re bringing us all down with your heavy reality man.

9. Larry
    2011/01/23 at 5:29 am #

Ouch, with the digs on Fresno, and ouch on the digs on Mike Holmes. Please have Mike on as a guest you and him have a lot in common and are both the real deal. Fresno fucking loves you man I will be there again when you return. Dude, on a lighter note, your are knocking it out of the fucking park with all of your podcasts. You are the future of entertainment and we cannot get enough. By the way, fucking awesome choice for your news girl. Thank the lord Jesus Christ, she is perfect. Good things mother fucker YOU ARE THE MAN!

10. Nate
    2011/01/23 at 5:05 pm #

Hey, listeners! Check out the wikipedia page for Ace on the House and update the description as necessary.

11. Max Girth
    2011/01/24 at 10:07 am #

The ethnic gentleman (brother) that called in with the electrical problem sounded suspiciously like Isaac Hayes, though his vocabulary was much larger.

12. Ras
    2011/01/24 at 12:42 pm #

Will this be available on iTunes? – I can not find it there

13. martin
    2011/01/24 at 8:44 pm #

ace on the house rocks!!! please keep the show going! and get it the fuck on!!!

14. Ima Furst
    2011/01/25 at 9:55 am #

Why no pimping out of the GIO Podcast for our brother Reginald, who laments not having listened to Loveline back when? It’s a massive celebration of classic Loveline. Sounds like he’d probably enjoy it. “giopodcast(dot)com”

15. alex
    2011/01/25 at 4:01 pm #

Hey Ace, check out eye-fi SD cards for your camera. One time set up on the computer and your camera will automatically send ur pics to the computer via ur wifi network. No wires needed.

• Caulksmen
      2011/01/25 at 5:49 pm #

Dude that is fIng sweet! I’m buying one as we speak.

16. Smith
    2011/01/25 at 4:36 pm #

Hello I am Miguel Smith I Really love to listen to this to this Brodcast and love the way they make jokes,this brodcast is really entertaining to me and I enjoy listening to it.

17. Reese
    2011/01/25 at 5:41 pm #

I love this new podcast. Can’t wait to build some knowledge and tinker around. I’ll have you know I bought two hammers and a tape measure today.

18. Dustin from BC
    2011/01/25 at 7:19 pm #

Interseting to hear someone else who thinks Mike Holmes is a bit blowhard. I work for a lumber supplier that has donated materials to some of his projects, never met him but I heard rumors of blowhardiness from co-workers who did. Probably very good at what he does, but I don’t think I’d want to work for him. And he’s not gay, has 3 kids. But I guess that doesn’t mean anything!

Maybe he needs a recumbent bike to chill out on.

19. Kestrell
    2011/01/26 at 3:20 pm #

Sandy or Donny,
    When posting the picture of the podcast (this is mostly for the main Adam Carolla Show), instead of just Adam and the guest, please get Alison in the picture too. I hardly see any beautiful women all day at work, so it would be a nice refresher to see Alison on a daily basis.
    Thanks!

20. Rex
    2011/01/26 at 7:55 pm #

What is the name of Bald Brian’s Father-in-Laws shop?

The Hardware store that Adam got the palm nailer from?

I want to check it out!

• Bald Bryan
      2011/01/27 at 2:51 pm #

Hi Rex,

My father-in-law’s shop is called Westwood Power Tools and it’s on Sepulveda in Culver City. Check them out at http://www.WestwoodPowerTools.net

Thanks
      Bryan

21. Ben
    2011/01/26 at 10:32 pm #

Sooo happy that this Podcast is finally happening! Keep it up

22. Nate "the 24 ounce Hammer"
    2011/01/27 at 6:24 am #

Get it on!
    Hey Aceman, Any plans to come out to the East coast this year?
    I’d love to see a live show.

I just discovered something about that bar that your DirectTV DVR insists on making you stare at for 5 seconds on the bottom of the screen everytime you rewind.

You can get rid of that bar by hitting the play button twice.

Didn’t know that till last night.
    That bar is so unnecessary.
    Keep on rockin Ace!!

23. Aristotlet
    2011/01/28 at 1:19 pm #

After fixing up my old 100yo house I found that golf tees worked great when I had to fill holes from door hinges. All you have to do is put a nice coat of wood glue tap the tee into the hole cut off the end and drill a pilot hole and your done.

GET IT ON!!!

24. Jordan Lightfoot
    2011/01/28 at 1:30 pm #

Love the show Ace man! Your painted floors look really good!

25. Schmails
    2011/01/29 at 6:48 am #

Ace! Love the new podcast! It’s a great addition to the Carolla Broadcasting Network. Been listening a long time.

26. Rick
    2011/01/29 at 1:00 pm #

Wow! I did get on the show. Thanks for the informative (and hilarious) gouge on air compressors, Ace. How about a picture of your garage plumbing you mentioned?

27. Hal
    2011/02/01 at 12:02 pm #

How drunk was ACE, man he was speaking really slow and slurring his words.

28. MaNick
    2011/02/02 at 1:54 pm #

Nice call on the hinge repair. I’m a pro remodeler and have learned to keep some cheap, take-out chopsticks on hand (you never know when you’ll need to get crafty with site lunches) anyhow, grab a drill bit just under the size of the diameter of the chopstick and ream out those old screw holes. Squirt some PVA glue into the holes and tap sections of the ‘stick into the holes. Cut them off once the glue sets (note that PVA “carpenter’s glue” cures faster and stronger under a bit of pressure) PRE-DRILL a pilot hole (always! Good comment from Ace and that is PROOF that the guy knows his shit) and set those screws in with a hand-held screwdriver (so as to not over-torque them).

BTW… carpentry and sarcastic, caustic humor go hand in hand.

29. Stuart
    2011/02/03 at 10:09 pm #

Re: Converting 2 prong electrical outlets to 3 prong.

Swapping the receptacle without ensuring a ground is probably a bad idea.
    In some cases the metal box would be grounded and you can use that, but more often than not, you’re looking at running a new 3 conductor cable back to the panel. $$$$

For Canadians, I believe its also illegal to do any electrical yourself now unless you happen to be an electrician. Be safe…

• Stuart
      2011/02/03 at 10:11 pm #

Err, Sorry, in Ontario, not Canada.. but check into it, I could be wrong.

30. Matt
    2011/02/09 at 1:57 pm #

Love the tool suggestions, but please please please ACE, have one of your assistants write down all the tools a guy should have so we can take it to the home depot and not look like a wuss when someone comes to the house. Thanks – keep up the great work!

31. Dave Miller
    2011/06/30 at 3:15 pm #

Today is the last day for no tax in CA and thru Adam’s click thru to Amazon. Just ordered Bosch palm router, Mikita 18v cordless circular saw, Bosch random orbital sander and accessories. Love Ace on the House.

32. Deetta Batz
    2012/02/24 at 3:01 am #

Hello, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!”The smaller the understanding of the situation, the more pretentious the form of expression.” by John Romano.

33. Scott
    2012/03/15 at 9:24 am #

The day laborer segment at the end was fucking hilarious.

34. Cary Middlekauff
    2012/03/18 at 11:38 pm #

F*ckin’ tremendous things here. I’m very glad to see your post. Thanks so much and i am having a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

35. cairns solar equipment
    2012/05/07 at 2:57 pm #

Really an illuminating and descriptive inform, the post is superior in all regards,I am happy to read through this post. When any writer is as good as you are, all people would never have got some problems with custom research papers. Thanks.

36. Annabelle Rich
    2013/04/26 at 8:38 pm #

Awesome site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!Fort Worth Roofing Contractors, 5009 Brentwood Stair Rd., #112-C, Fort Worth, TX 76112 – (214) 306-8080

37. Reverse Your Diabetes Today Review
    2014/01/06 at 9:50 pm #

It is truly a nice and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with
    us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

My weblog: Reverse Your Diabetes Today Review

38. fresno computer repair
    2014/01/07 at 1:00 am #

Handy data. Fortuitous my family I ran across your internet site inadvertently, with this particular stunned precisely why the following coincidence wouldn’t occurred upfront! I personally saved them.

39. Feast Your Fat Away
    2014/02/01 at 10:53 am #

I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I extremely
    enjoyed the usual information an individual provide to
    your visitors? Is going to be back often to check up on new
    posts