Carpet vs. Hardwood

Carpet vs. Hardwood

Adam answers your Home Improvement questions. This week, Dutch doors, granite countertops, and installing skylights are among the topics.

Picture Hooks

Adam opens by saying he’s not an expert at every phase of construction, but he’s good at fakin’ it. The first caller asks Adam for advice on hanging objects, and Adam suggests even using a top of the line hot glue gun to help. Another caller is concerned about a leaking boiler molding up his linoleum tile floor. Adam also offers his ‘keen sense of style’ to help a caller transition between carpet and hardwood floor.

Granite Sink

Adam then talks to a guy looking for advice on insulation. He speaks to another caller about an oversized granite counter top in his bathroom, and offers yet another caller advice on using a nail gun. He also discusses the difficulties of installing skylights, and suggests just going to a specialist so they can take the heat if something gets messed up.

Dutch door

Adam also offers an explanation for the term Dutch Doors, and paints a beautiful picture for a caller, using a picture as a metaphor. The last couple callers talk to Adam about redoing an upstairs room, and trying to work on a lighting fixture without ripping out the entire ceiling.

Associate Producer: Katie Levine
Web Engineering: Melanie de Jonge

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Carpet vs. Hardwood”

1. Paul from California
    2011/02/18 at 5:58 pm #

this show rocks!

2. spamy
    2011/02/19 at 7:53 am #

Love this show!
    Ace… Please talk about when to remodel vs. when to call it quits and sell.

3. Hugh Gasol
    2011/02/19 at 8:25 am #

I have never lived in a place where I didn’t have to take a HAMMER to the tackless strip at every doorway.

Good question spamy: ACE do you say we should let someone else do all the work and then buy it from them when they run out of money?

4. Big T
    2011/02/19 at 1:00 pm #

Ace, keep this show going. Great job!!

5. Darren 420
    2011/02/19 at 5:08 pm #

ACE MAN DON’T MEAN TO BE A ONE UPPER, BUT A BI-RAFTER IS A TRUSS.

6. Stacey E
    2011/02/19 at 7:21 pm #

I’ve noticed that whoever encapsulates all of the podcasts seems to go into painfully great detail. Is that for the deaf?
    This also (aside from Larry’s) seems to be the only podcast that doesn’t inspire written pissing contests.—-I’ll give it time.

7. Kanaloa
    2011/02/20 at 11:34 am #

The detail is for those who like to know what sort of content in included on an hour to hour and a half show, and in turn helps those people decide if they want to listen.

Additionally, after so many shows, if you’re trying to go back to find a specific topic, the summaries are quite helpful.

Good day.

8. Josh
    2011/02/21 at 10:54 am #

You need to get Eric Stomer on soon.

I say less calls & stick to one or two topics per show.

We need to see some video projects.

9. Boston Bill
    2011/02/21 at 1:26 pm #

Hey Ace, another great podcast – you must be catching up with Leo Laporte for on air stick time.

Talking of carpet vs hardwood….we just purchased some carpet squares made by “Flor” – good stuff and goes over hardwood….If a square gets abused, you can replace easily….

BostonBill

10. Chad
    2011/02/22 at 12:02 am #

Ace,

Thanks for the great podcast. I am doing my part to spread the word to my friends and they are loving it.

Video projects would be a nice addition, we would all love to see the “Ace Man” in action with his toggle bolts.

11. Guy
    2011/02/27 at 9:39 am #

Awesome show! We need more. PS- who is “blaster girl”?

12. bananaman
    2011/03/12 at 7:59 am #

Blaster girl is Adam’s sound engineer on this podcast and never ever heard from. That fact makes her the most desirable woman alive.

13. Tom
    2011/06/12 at 6:38 pm #

Adam, GET IT ON BABY! Hey I’m trying buy my first house. Id like a garage but the more affordable houses don’t have a garage. After bills and child support I can’t afford a big mortgage. You think it’ll be worth my while to get the cheaper house and just build a garage or should I go for a higher payment and get what I want? I love what your doing, keep up the great work brother!