Nose to the Grindstone

Nose to the Grindstone

Adam gives advice for do-it-yourself kitchen cabinets and dealing with the remnants of a past owner.

Grinder

Adam opens the show suggesting all the listeners out there get a good grinder. He then hops on the phones and talks to a caller about fixing a raised foundation and the pros and cons of carpet vs. hardwood floors. He also gives advice to a caller about replacing the kitchen cabinets himself, despite his better judgment.

Raised Foundation

Adam also speaks with someone about hanging a television inside the wall, and how to deal with redoing a house that was ruined by the previous owner. After that, he takes calls from a guy with makeup-stained marble, and gives advice to a number of people dealing with subflooring issues. Wrapping things up, Adam gives advice to a guy at risk of getting sucked into his dad’s business, and helps a guy trying to soundproof his house.

Amazon’s selection of Angle Grinders and more
Amazon’s Eye Shades & Earplugs
Amazon’s selection of Home Improvement Books

Associate Producer: Katie Levine
Phones: Brian Meyer
Web Engineering: Sandy Ganz

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Nose to the Grindstone”

1. Bill
    2011/02/04 at 9:27 pm #

Loved the show. Agreed that for a basement, water proof the floor then lay an area rug from home depot or a remnant that you can roll up. great advice and great podcast! Did it for the area we use for exercising, dont lay carpet everywhere, just the space you use.

2. Gnarlex
    2011/02/05 at 11:09 am #

Can’t wait to hear about the curse of the previous owner! We have what once was a charming 1925 Spanish house, last touched in about 1970. Auugh!

3. Ben
    2011/02/05 at 12:50 pm #

Where are the pics of the TV in the wall?

4. Peter
    2011/02/08 at 1:52 pm #

Really, really enjoy the show. Adam come across with authenticity, and does not condescend. I have some scattered thoughts:

* More explanation of what you do with the exotic tools would be good. It’s neat to hear about angle grinders, but I have no idea if I need one by just hearing about the design of the tool

* “Theme” shows would be interesting. Subjects could include flooring, electrical, storage, how to deal with contractors, etc. Give some notice, and people could come with specific questions on the phone.

* Adam giving an update on some major project that he’s working on would be cool. Kind of like the remodel TV show that he did, a 15 minute update on whatever stage he’s on in the process would be interesting. If the project is building the new studio, or a major project on the house, people could hear about its evolution, and how progress is going. How he picked the project, how he is going to design, choices that he made in the process, how much it costs, etc.

* Another interesting feature could be hypothetical projects. “Let’s say you need more storage in your 1950s house that has crappy small closets. Here are the things you need to consider, here are the things that people will tell you that aren’t true, this part is worth paying for pros to complete, this you can get away with doing yourself, etc”

Anyway, those are my thoughts after listening to the first 3 shows.

5. Paul from California
    2011/02/09 at 9:48 pm #

thanks ace man for taking my call tonight. this show rocks!

6. Eric
    2011/02/11 at 6:26 pm #

I had a question about the TV in the wall. Where do you put the power source? Obviously there isn’t a power cord coming out from the wall and plugged into a receptacle, but having a receptacle inside the wall is against code, isn’t it?

A pic of this would be awesome.

2011/02/12 at 11:25 am #

You should put up links for your sponsors, like this one:

I’ll check them out, later. Podcast listenin’ is for chore doin’.

Mahalo

8. Rich
    2011/03/13 at 7:56 am #

I really enjoy your show Adam.. It’s informative and entertaining. Who knows it might actually inspire me to get off my you know what and get some stuff done around here.

9. Amina Caringi
    2011/12/05 at 2:34 pm #

Your home is actually valueble for me personally. Cheers! …

10. Cynthia Reavley
    2012/01/09 at 2:02 pm #

This site is known as a walk-by means of for all the data you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.

11. google optimization
    2014/03/11 at 7:54 am #

My developer iss trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various
    websites ffor about a year aand am anxious abvout switching
    to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I cann transfer all my wordpress posts inmto it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

My web site :: google optimization