I Am Carpenter

I Am Carpenter

Adam lays out how to build a Recyclarolla, and talks to a caller about having his roof tarred.

Today’s first call is from a person who wants more details about the ‘Recyclarolla,’ which is essentially a pipe leading from the house to the recycling bins outside. Adam also goes on a rant about hospitals and recalls how people never believe that he’s actually a carpenter. Another caller has an issue with sagging hardwood floors, and Adam breaks down the difference between adhesives and glue.

The next caller is working on updating his kitchen, and Adam gives some advice about fixing up the cabinet doors. There’s also a caller who has a question about the fencing around his house. The last caller of the day has water leaking through his diffusers, and Adam suggests waiting out the rain and prepping to have his roof tarred.

Associate Producer: Katie Levine
Phones: Brian Meyer
Web Engineer: Melanie de Jonge

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to “I Am Carpenter”

1. Geoff
    2011/04/02 at 2:01 pm #

good show. seems like Adam’s havin a good time.

2011/04/02 at 3:04 pm #

I made a Recyclarolla also, but we have to keep cans, brown glass, and green glass separate. I placed the three containers on the back porch, next to each other and made some measurements, then borrowed a tool from a plumber friend (probably can rent it), a box about 4 feet long that you slide plastic pipe into that zaps it with ultraviolet radiation and softens it enough to introduce gentle bends. Just gentle, mind you, so bottles and cans stll slide through easily.

Inside the house, the pipe has a handle bolted to it; Heinekin or grren wine bottle, you move the handle over to Green Glass and it rotates the pipe, positioning the outside pipe over the green glass container. Move the handle to Cans and the pipe rotates over to the can bin.

Makes everything neater in the house and folks like to use it! And hide the evidence!

3. big jim
    2011/04/02 at 8:04 pm #

“I been to the mountain! And brought back some 80-grit sandpiper!”
    “It was 80-grit, amen!”
    “For a belt sander!”
    “Not an orbital sander!”
    “It was for a belt sander, I tell you, and it went on smooth.”
    “Nothing like an orbital sander!”
    “And then I applied that sandpiper…”
    “And life got smooth.”
    “And life did indeed get smooth. Amen, brother.”
    “Nothing cheap about that 80-grit belt paper.”
    “And then I went back to the mountain, cause I forgot the primer.”
    “The best primer!”
    “And it was! Semi-gloss coat!”
    “Did you buy the brushes?”
    “Brushes can burn in the fires of below. I got me some rollers!”
    “A smoother coat of primer!”
    “Amen!”

• Jim
      2011/04/03 at 6:24 am #

How about we leave the jokes to Adam.

• big jim
        2011/04/03 at 6:49 am #

That WAS Adam’s joke, ya big jerk. I was just riding his wave.
        And let’s leave the drops to Bryan.

4. Jim
    2011/04/03 at 6:24 am #

Thanks for another great show.

5. paul
    2011/04/03 at 7:41 am #

Awesome show… thanks for another great episode!

6. Dustin
    2011/04/03 at 5:22 pm #

I’d love to see some pics of this recycle roll-off…. Thanks Ace for another great show.

7. bananaman
    2011/04/03 at 8:53 pm #

Well Damn, Chris in Fl had a really good idea. very surprising since any longtime Adam fan knows that Fl is full of shifty criminal types and deadbeat dads and drifters. I too would like to see some pics. and I’d like to try some of that Pirate fencing around my veggie garden.

• Jeff
      2011/04/05 at 6:09 am #

Agreed. If some pictures could be taken and sent in of both, that would be great. I’ll trademark it or whatever you want, but visuals would be nice.

• Johnny Smack
      2011/04/30 at 5:30 am #

Florida was known as the “second chance state” when I lived there for a few years. Its the only state that you can run to after you’ve screwed your life up everywhere else, no one ever asks any questions about your past.

8. Marie Buckley
    2011/04/04 at 9:17 am #

Great show. Really interesting. Aceman at his best.

9. Joel
    2011/04/05 at 11:13 am #

Man that Joel Kid was a great caller haha man thanks for taking my call man again long time fan and glad you have your own stations on the web and again been a true listener for 13 years all thoes great years of Lovline and now for a year now ive been listning to the podcast. Bought the book when it first came out now its awesome you have your own Home Improvement show. Happy I finally got to speak to you a true dream come true. Thanks again

10. Darius
    2011/04/08 at 8:56 am #

Adam, I love the metal pole idea for a wood fence. Last fall I put up a fence and wanted a 16′ door across the driveway. After deciding that a wood framed door would weigh a ton and need constant tightening as it wanted to sag over the years, I bought a 16′ metal cattle gate and attached horizontal 2×4’s to it, then nailed my dog-ear pickets to it. The resulting door still weighs a lot but I don’t have to worry about it bending over the years. I added a steel cable that goes from the far end of the gate to high up on the post at the hinge side. I was quite pleased with the result but it never even occured to me that you could use the same idea to go with metal posts instead of wood. Too bad all 40 panels are already up on wood posts! You’re a damn genius.

11. Frank
    2011/04/10 at 6:26 pm #

Just an note on a call; if I got the wrong episode let me know.

A seemingly new homeowner called in and wanted to know routine things he could do around the house and I have some things to add to the Ace man’s list. Great suggestions were given like flushing out your hot water heater once a year; this can be done to electric, gas and oil fired boilers all the same. I would add checking on copper drain pipes as well, especially low pitched and low flow drains like 1.5″ sink drains. Soap and gunk can build up on low pitches and eventually eat right through copper pipe. So, if you have a 1980’s or older home run a snake through and flush out any copper lines, also open up your traps to make sure water is running quickly.

I could type a whole list.. Any additions anyone?

12. Solana
    2011/04/12 at 7:38 am #

Can we email a question in with pics? I am in a different time zone and listen to the podcasts after they are posted, not live.

To sum up, we have a garage that the previous owner cut into the trusses to make a second floor, then reinforced it with posts at the bottom. It’s a 4 car garage but we can only fit 2 cars in it because the posts are in the way. My question is do we have to completely replace the trusses or is there a way to restore the integrity of the structure by reninforcing parts of the existing trusses?

• ahcast
      2011/04/13 at 10:19 am #

This is a great question for Adam, I’ll try to get it to him if I’m around for the next show.

Sandy

13. Dumpster Pro
    2011/06/07 at 11:53 am #

A Dumpster is the way to go, thanks for the info..

14. Jewel Stockley
    2011/12/21 at 1:57 am #

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually understand what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my website =). We could have a hyperlink exchange arrangement among us

15. Cassy Tichnell
    2011/12/26 at 1:21 pm #

I have been seeking consistent guidance on rainwater.

16. Rubin Shuttlesworth
    2011/12/29 at 7:04 am #

TIm,
    I wrote to you back on 9/17 that my family of 4 were 3 and a half months into a short sale offer with no response and I am writing today to say that we finally closed on the home 7 months after the short sale offer went to the bank. We rented the home from the owners until the closing but never fully unpacked our boxes just in case. A foreclosure notice was given at the end of December and this seemed to finally speed the process along. One month later we closed. The seller’s put up 10k and the bank accepted our offer. We were stuck paying about 3 weeks worth of unpaid property taxes in the end but that was because the bank would not pay them and the seller’s were tapped out after putting up 10k for the bank. After going through this I feel like the best advice I can give anyone if they are going to attempt to buy a short sale is be prepared to wait, have a back up plan in case it doesn’t work out and be prepared to possibly pay something (like some closing costs) in the end. Also, in our case renting the home was helpful because it saved us from moving twice (we sold our other home in June) and we were able to maintain the home and make sure it did not fall into a greater state of disrepair. This also avoided the issue of the sellers possibly destroyingthe home, or taking appliances and fixtures out of the home. In the end the hardest thing to do was wait and feel helpless which is what the buyer feels because they can’t really do anything to speed the process along. The bank takes their time and they also asked the sellers for some of the same documents over and over which is even more frustrating. In the end, our attorney said that other than the long wait, our short sale actually went well. We do feel we got a good price and we do love the house. There are some repairs but the price accounts for it. I never thought I would have to wait this long but I am thankful I stuck it out and that it is finally over.

17. Recupération Meubles
    2012/02/07 at 11:26 am #

Some really fantastic info , Gladiolus I found this. “Use your imagination not to scare yourself to death but to inspire yourself to life.” by Adele Brookman.

18. Hanne Eriksen
    2012/02/22 at 7:02 am #

Hey great site, keep up the good work

19. Micheline Krings
    2012/03/12 at 1:51 pm #

Hello there, simply hoped to mention its good to view your good quality theme choosing on your website for a change.At this time there are a touch too numerous pitiful or possibly ostentatious themes used about web sites at the moment from my opinion.

20. Douglas Dorn
    2012/07/23 at 1:35 pm #

This is great content, I appreciate a good read