Don’t Hang with Roofers or Welders

Don’t Hang with Roofers or Welders

Adam helps a caller determine the best way to secure a deck to the side of his house. He also talks about terrible reality shows, shopping at Home Depot, and how to solve a bee crisis.

Andrew TV Mount

The show opens with a couple email questions. Adam helps the first writer determine whether or not their attic is safe for storage. He also goes on a side jag about terrible reality shows like ‘Pawn Stars’ and ‘Treasure Hunters.’ The next emailer wants to mount his TV, but is afraid of punching through the wall into the next room. Adam has a couple suggestions, and is glad people are sending in photos.

Attaching Deck

After some handy-dandy going-to-the-phones music, the first caller has a question about securing a deck to the side of his friend’s house. Another caller is struggling to match the color and texture on his ceilings, and Adam answers a sponsored question about who are the worst people to hang out with on the job site.

Home Depot

The last part of the show features a couple of follow-up callers. The first is a caller who phoned in a while back about his fence, and is now trying to figure out the best place to purchase a new fence lock. Adam ends up discussing the ins and outs of Home Depot. The other follow-up question is regarding the clogged toilet that Adam tried to explain how to fix. Adam then talks to a caller who has a bunch of bees in an inaccessible area, and he wraps the show discussing the benefits of LED lighting.

Associate Producers: Matt Fondiler & Gary Smith
Phones/Research: Gary Smith
Web Engineer: Melanie de Jonge

Tags: , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Don’t Hang with Roofers or Welders”

1. Sluggh
    2011/07/16 at 3:24 am #

Or painters. They’re all alcoholics.

• Lamb
      2011/07/24 at 4:10 pm #

where the hell is the maxxima LED link? Come on webmasters, help me help you. The asian guy would have made sure it was on the site.

• ahcast
        2011/07/29 at 10:08 am #

Look at the rolling banner, it’s top and right in front.

Sandy

• Lamb
          2011/08/07 at 6:08 pm #

Thanks Sandy,

I have so many ad blockers on my browser that I don’t even know what I am missing. My mistake.

2. derek
    2011/07/16 at 4:32 am #

I hate writing comments but I need to make a few statements about today’s show. Adam, I do love this show along with all your other shows and I listen all the time at work to help make the time fly.

Although, two things mentioned on this episode:

1. Storage Auctions. I’ve never watched Storage Wars (even though I manage a self storage facility). It’s surprising that they don’t allow potential bidders to see a unit before they bid on it. At my facility we allow people to take a walk inside to check things out. If we sold them sight unseen, no one would bid over $20. I’m sure the producers of that show tell them to do things a certain way to raise suspense but I, too, hate this new crop of “reality” shows that chronicle the lives of America’s white trash.

2. Home Depot. My part time job is at Home Depot. I highly pity someone that only makes $8/hour. I make quite a bit more (and I had no home improvement knowledge prior to my employment there). The plumbing and electrical specialists are typically retired guys that come to work at Home Depot for 20 or so hours per week. I understand that they can make $20+ per hour do so. I’m sure it pales in comparison to what they made in their former profession, but it’s not a bad way to spend retirement.

Aside from that, keep up the great work on all of your shows and I’ll keep listening.

• Jim
      2011/07/16 at 12:53 pm #

I don’t get it? Was Adam speaking about you when he said $8/hr? Could it have just been a general statement, or does he owe You an apology? Are you sure nobody at Home Depot makes 8 bucks an hour? And did he not hit it on the head when he said they don’t have any home improvement knowledge? Maybe you are taking this too personal. Kinda strange that a guy is online commenting at 430 in the morning, already heard Saturdays show, and 2 of the menial jobs Adam mentioned are in your wheelhouse.

• derek
        2011/07/16 at 9:21 pm #

It posted as 4:30am in their time zone. It was 8:30 my time. I listen on the way to work. He doesn’t owe me an apology but it certainly is wrong to say that no one at Home Depot knows anything because they don’t pay enough. The only Home Depot employee making $8/hour is the guy pushing shopping carts in from the parking lot. I just had to throw in my two cents. I’m not angry or anything like that.

As far as my regular (career) job, he never said anything about the managers of storage facilities, just the people that bid on the units sold at auction. I can assure you there is a big difference between the employed guy that runs a storage facility versus the large number of people that have nowhere better to be on a Wednesday morning than an auction of other people’s junk. I find it entertaining at times.

• Jim
          2011/07/17 at 10:33 am #

Point taken, thanks for clearing that up.

3. Patrico Suave
    2011/07/16 at 6:29 am #

Carolla looks Cholo-Fresh in that photo. Get it on Esse.

• zen
      2011/07/21 at 4:11 pm #

Shouldn’t he have a bandana under the cap and his buttons undone except for the top one? Oh, and be unemployed… oh wait.

4. Scott Terror
    2011/07/16 at 4:56 pm #

Could you watch the volume levels? I have no idea what the lady with the toilet problem was saying.

5. Mitchell
    2011/07/16 at 11:04 pm #

I heard someone say “Jerry-rig” on the show this week. I’ve heard you explain that it comes from the Nazi soldiers and how clever they were with their machinery. I’m pretty sure it’s actually a nautical term. If the mast of a ship became damaged, the sailors would rig a “joury mast” a “mast for the day”. “Jour” is french for “day”. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_mast_knot

6. John
    2011/07/17 at 12:12 pm #

How about a tour of the Super garage, how it was built, what was the experience like, what would you do different? etc etc

• derek
      2011/07/17 at 4:39 pm #

I agree. I remember seeing pictures of it under construction years ago. Now that you guys do video, give a tour of the garage. While you’re at it, a tour of the house would be nice so you can show off all the stuff that YOU did in case another journalist wants to write about you. They’ll know that you were your own GC and not just a “helper”.

7. Greg
    2011/07/20 at 6:45 am #

Welders have better tattoos

8. Bill
    2011/07/22 at 7:21 am #

Bring Back ‘The Film Vault’! Its my favorite podcast. Ever.

9. Hack on the House
    2011/07/23 at 8:03 pm #

do people really expect to get detailed info on projects from a HD employee? go easy ace man; it’s an honest job.

10. Matt B
    2011/08/03 at 11:30 am #

Ace,

the caller about the roof trusses:

Habital attic space vs storage… per building code truss bottom chord must be 40# load, storage 30# load, if less than 30# bottom chord live load you cannot us it for said storage. Pa uses 2009 IRC code.
    Matt B
    Structural Drafter

• jerrold9200
      2011/09/24 at 7:22 pm #

Just a blessing. I’ve been a fan since Bircham/Loveline radio in LA. Now I suffer loudmouth hacks 90% of the time. -An ADD/HD’ers dream. AND the hardest working man in Show Business!

11. hardwood flooring santa rosa ca
    2011/12/07 at 6:23 am #

Great items from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you’ve bought right here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which by which you assert it. You’re making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.

12. Clarke Rasmond
    2012/01/11 at 10:13 pm #

Super good site. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Exactly what I was looking for. Keep up the great work!

13. Randal Garand
    2012/05/03 at 7:22 pm #

hey, I’m unable to subscribe for ones RSS feed. Can you assist or do you know why? thanks for ones info.

14. Brigida Capinpin
    2012/06/29 at 12:20 am #

We offer mobile welding services. We are on call for all your mobile portable welding needs serving the inland empire area as well as the city Riverside, Corona, Moreno Valley, Perris, Norco and Chino. If you have a big or small welding project and are in need of a service that comes to your location, we’re the company to hire.