Pet Problems

Pet Problems

Adam deals with some animal issues, and goes on a rant about spiders. He also talks about handy tricks with a nail gun, and why a pitched roof is the way to go.

The first emailer asks Adam how to protect his door trim from being chewed up by the dog. Adam then breaks down the anatomy of a door jamb, and offers a couple suggestions. Next up is an email about a guy with too many spiders, and Adam goes on a rant about their exploding population.

Moving to the phones, Adam talks to a caller about electrical circuits and drilling in can lights. Another caller is having problems with their dog digging under the fence, and Adam offers a very creative solution to the problem. Later a caller wants to know which room to begin his remodeling in, and another is trying to redecorate his dad’s hardboard panels. The show wraps up with Adam giving handy nail gun advice, and explains the benefits of having a pitched roof.

This week’s dialing music contributed by Lawrence Scaduto. Visit his site at lawrencescaduto.com

Associate Producers: Matt Fondiler & Gary Smith
Phones/Research: Gary Smith
Technical Director: Chris Laxamana
Web Engineer: Melanie De Jonge

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Pet Problems”

1. Sluggh
    2011/08/20 at 2:50 am #

Looks like Death is chasin’ our host. Get laid, man.

2. paddym
    2011/08/20 at 7:27 am #

dude fix your goddamn dog and she wont be so horny. and too bad clickin on pics means you gotta restart the broadcast

• stnuntrnd
      2011/08/20 at 10:51 am #

Yes, when one clicks on “Show as a Slideshow”.
      One can click on individual photos, and the audio will continue, but the slideshow images are larger and brighter.

3. Andy
    2011/08/20 at 11:16 am #

It’s called lawn or landscape edging.

4. Andy
    2011/08/20 at 1:32 pm #

MorrisProducts Drillers Dust Bowl

Unlike a basketball, you can see through it.

5. Hack on the House
    2011/08/20 at 9:20 pm #

aceman, how do I fix a broken lightbulb?

6. Ricky G
    2011/08/21 at 1:44 am #

That “Lawrence Scaduto” cover is catchy. I can’t get it out of my head. I like it.

7. Ricky G
    2011/08/21 at 2:55 am #

I want to download the “Lawrence Scaduto” song. Can you put it on the site somewhere?

2011/08/21 at 12:00 pm #

Usually, you can click on anything on a webpage, without interrupting the page, if you right click and select Open In New Window.

Meanwhile, Adam is learning an ecology lesson that should just be called “Whack-A-Mole”. He was bothered by bugs a year ago and wiped out the predators, so now he has a fine crop of replacement predators (spiders). No critters were left to eat the young spiders, so, BOOM!

For example, he got rid of his Crane Flies, (which I call Mosquito Hawks). These flies don’t actually eat ANYTHING when they are adults, but they share the same water when they are larva and mosquitoes are larvae and they appear to keep mosquitoes under control.

If you take one away, you are going to whack a different mole, unless you just pesticide-bomb your home.

Me, I just allow Wolf Spiders to have free roam everywhere; they whip up on everything, don’t build webs everywhere (they don’t catch prey with a web, they stalk and jump their prey), and I actually find them friendly. I’ll even let them walk on me. Darned cool bugs that will eat the rest of your bugs. They live just about everywhere, so you only need to ask yourself if you can tolerate them. They’ll deal with the riff raff.

That’s my solution to spiders and other bug problems; more spiders, of the right type, that you don’t hit with a shoe.

2011/08/21 at 12:28 pm #

BTW, I was listening to one of Adam’s other podcasts and he mentioned backing people away from sanding down old paint that may have Lead in it and making the dust airborn, especially if you have kids. He recommended using a stripper instead.

Yes, use a stripper, preferably one of the innocuous citrus-based strippers, but he also suggested using a broad knife for removal. OK, fine, you can use a knife for the shovel, but try this:

Go to a cabinet shop or somewhere that has saws running all day. Take empty garbage bags with you. Very politely ask them if you can collect up their sawdust. Sawdust is a wonderful tool for cleaning away old paint, or varnish.

It works like this, spread some plastic around and work from high to low. Put gloves on your hands and grab handfulls of sawdust and scrub the surface you are cleaning. As the old sawdust gets heavy with paint and stripper, it falls to the plastic, so you grab some more out of the garbage bag. You can clean the most finely detailed surfaces this way, bag the waste, and you are darned close to done when you wrap up all of the plastic and toss everything back into the bags.

You don’t need industrial-strength stripper for this project, just a nice citrus-based stripper, some gloves, and maybe some eye protection, to keep away accidental debris. Your waste will not be hazardous, as you used a tame stripper, you started with paint that was just barely dangerous (before you were going to turn it into dust; that’s dangerous), and you just added a huge volume of sawdust to it, so you are actually winding up with a waste that is less toxic than the paint was, or the stripper was, to begin with! An ordinary sanitary landfill can accept your debris, (but not a Construction and Demolition Landfill, there’s a difference). Your normal landfill for ordinary household waste can accept this waste, but not a place that can only accept clean wood and concrete debris.

I always use sawdust for these tasks; the rougher stuff from the top of a pile to soak up most of the paint, the finer stuff to get into details and crevices.

10. big jim
    2011/08/22 at 11:16 am #

Shouldn’t the show credits for Matt read, “Audio/Post-Production/Show Summary/the Bowl Bruiser & Porcelain Punisher”?

11. Lawrence Scaduto
    2011/08/22 at 7:59 pm #

@rickyg

you can download the Taboo 2 cover I sent in for this show at lawrencescaduto.com

here’s a youtube with some choice shoots from taboo 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIyocKLUs_A

12. Tomahawk in Maizehole
    2011/08/23 at 6:38 am #

“Lynette was complaining about stuff” Ya sure!

13. Ram
    2011/08/27 at 7:33 am #

Aceman, what’s up with this week’s show (8/27)?

Get it on.

14. Jason in Baltimore
    2011/10/05 at 6:30 am #

Re: Spiders, I can’t stand them either. I go online once a year or so and buy a jug of professional insecticide powder (Cyper WP or Demon WP), fill up my Hudson sprayer, and spray the shit out of every crack & crevice I can find w/in 10 feet of my house. Works like a charm. I hardly ever see one in my house anymore, and when I do, half of them are already dead. Takes just half an hour every couple months. It’s also relatively safe.

15. Latoya Ewoldt
    2012/01/04 at 5:07 am #

I installed Windows 7 x64 onto a new 640 GB Caviar Black hard drive I recently bought. I partitioned the hard drive into two parts the first partition has all of my programs installed and the second partition has all of my files (my documents, etc). This morning when I turned on my computer, I got the following error: “Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter”. I have never seen this before, so I went ahead and inserted my Win 7 x64 disk and restarted. Here, I can’t see my hard drive when I go to “Repair your computer”; however, whenever I go to “Install Now” as if I was going to start a new installation, I can see both partitions. Any ideas? I’ve thought that it might be a faulty cable, but then I can still see the drive when I click Install Now, so I’m not sure if that is the problem.

16. Ricardo de la Rosa
    2012/07/19 at 6:47 am #

Hi,
    I’m Ricardo and the reason of why I’m writing you is to invite you to know one of the best self help tool for all kind of pets: dogs, cats, rabbits, etc..

This self help tool will help your pet to be more loving, more friendly, obedient, peaceful, less violent, with a better immune system, with more security and much more.

If you want know more in detail, just enter here:

Best Regards.