Ray on the House

Ray on the House

Adam’s in New York, so his pals Ray and Chris are steppin’ up to answer your home improvement questions. They also tell a couple of classic Adam stories.

Emailer Wood

At the top of the show, Ray introduces Chris Boehm, a mutual life-long friend of Adam’s who has some construction experience of his own. The guys then respond to an emailer having issues with his wooden duck, and another emailer having water pressure problems in the sink. A third email is from a guy trying to access his out-of-reach attic.

Hockey Skylighting

Ray and Chris move onto the phones next, and take a call from someone repairing a cement wall in the back of their property. Ray tells the story of how he broke not only Dr. Bruce’s arm, but also Chris’ little brother’s. Other callers have questions about crooked front doors, trapping condensation, and how to hang something from exposed wood beams. As the show wraps up, the guys answer some Facebook questions, and also share a couple of old school Adam stories.

Follow Ray on Twitter @RayOldhafer

NEW FEATURE:
Leave us a home improvement voicemail question at (323) 212-6073

Associate Producers: Matt Fondiler & Gary Smith
Phones/Technical Director: Chris Laxamana
Web Engineer: Melanie De Jonge

Tags: , , , ,

33 Responses to “Ray on the House”

1. mike
    2011/10/28 at 11:21 pm #

good show kept it up

2. romerogt
    2011/10/29 at 12:45 am #

Get it on!

3. Sluggh
    2011/10/29 at 1:28 am #

“Sounds like you have a question about the back door.” Classic.

4. nater
    2011/10/29 at 5:02 am #

David Letterman and Jerry Lewis, together at last!

• nater
      2011/10/29 at 8:44 pm #

BTW, We’ve all heard mention of the “outlawed” incandescent bulb in NZ, but that is supposed to happen here in the states as well in 2013.

THIS DOESN’T BOTHER ANYONE? HOME OF THE FUCKING FREE MY ASS.

Sorry CAROLLA, but it is more than a little hypocritical not to complain about big bro getting into your life when it is something you agree with.

As your mom might say, “Do you really need a car that expensive and can go that fast?” Read “Do you really need a bulb that…”

Seriously, outlawed incandescence.

• nilmot
        2011/11/01 at 9:53 am #

They’re taking away access clearly inferior product. OH MY HEAVENS!

5. Rednoted
    2011/10/29 at 6:18 am #

That is one very happy lesbian couple. I applaud these two and wish them the best.

6. Dave
    2011/10/29 at 7:42 am #

Thanks guys. Great show. Ray’s energy is always great but add in Chris’ expertise and you got a perfect pair. Love to hear you guys talking shit about Adam. GET IT ON!!!

2011/10/29 at 11:11 am #

Here’s the thing; it is very difficult for these guys to picture what you are describing, on the fly. Obviously, Adam enforces a live feel about podcasts, where they don’t start and stop the tape, so you get what you get. It’s much easier for us listeners to hear that the guy already said he cleaned out his screens on his faucet.

Van Heath, good luck to you, figuring out what a dry pack is; I assume it’s a dry mix of cement, but still with a certain amount of water added.

Chris from LA, forget about sealing the skylights. Your moisture is coming from the sweat and breathed-out water vapor, collecting in the ceiling during the day, then condensing at night. You said the place is open air, so you can’t just install AC or dehumidifiers, ’cause the place is OPEN, right?

Forget sealing the skylights; that’s not why it’s dripping. It’s dripping because there isn’t a long, smooth, roof panel for drops to travel down and go to the edge of the building, then fall. Water droplets are running down, then hitting that jarring skylight joint with the roof panels, and falling straight down.

IF, I’m hearing you right and this place is open-air and your drips occur in the morning, this is accumulated water vapor from sweat and breath. The accumulated water vapor needs somewhere else to escape. You need a ridge vent, at the top of the roof, or a few of those turbine vents, to let the water vapor out. Any sealing efforts are a waste of time effort, and money; you would just be sealing the water vapor IN. That water vapor is going to condense as it cools and it’s going to turn into drops. It has to go somewhere. It’s going to drop down, or you’re going to give it a way to escape out, through the top, while it’s still warm and a gas (vapor). The only third option is day labor guys with sponges. You have to give the water vapor a path out of the building, before it turns into liquid water (cools and condenses). That will solve your problem.

8. Nando
    2011/10/30 at 12:38 am #

Wow! great show guys. Good energy & lots of good advise, you 2 need to do this more often.

9. jo ke
    2011/10/30 at 12:18 pm #

no choice

10. Joanne
    2011/10/31 at 4:36 am #

Chris’ voice is so sexy!!! Mmmmm

11. mia
    2011/10/31 at 5:12 am #

great show!! i love ray and chris :)

12. John Hails
    2011/10/31 at 2:28 pm #

More Ray and Chris. Great show!

13. c_fiddy
    2011/11/01 at 2:36 pm #

Ray, is the smelly deck finishing stuff you’re trying to remember Penofin Oil? I’ve got an awesome/horrible story with that stuff.

14. J_runs
    2011/11/01 at 4:01 pm #

The condensate issue at the rink won’t be solved by Chris’ solution. The condensate is coming from the air inside the space, so adding plastic to the outside won’t solve the problem. As long as the surface temperature of the skylight is below the dewpoint of the air inside teh space, there will be condensate. The problem is that the R value of the skylight is to small.

15. smitto
    2011/11/01 at 8:35 pm #

I really like Ray, but I like Ray with Chris. Good show.

16. Steve
    2011/11/02 at 7:52 am #

What I really know, is who would win in a fair fight between Chris, Ray, or Adam? With Adam’s boxing training, could he kick their ass at this age. I would put my money on Ray. Ray’s a bad ass and he is also crazy.

17. Deuce on the floor
    2011/11/02 at 9:08 am #

Ray and Chris, you two are naturals, hope to hear you two again. Very informative!

18. jd
    2011/11/02 at 6:35 pm #

Ray and Chris – GREAT JOB! Loved it.

Ray – You crack me up man…way to step it up. Keep up the good work.
    Chris – Hope they have you back.

19. Straight Dave
    2011/11/03 at 4:43 am #

I haven’t been listening to AOH, but had to went I heard it was Ray and Chris. I was not disappointments… It was great! Hope there a full threesome soon. Thanks guys

20. Gnarlex
    2011/11/03 at 12:58 pm #

Chris and Ray were fun and knowledgable. awesome!

21. Lamonica Stoneburner
    2012/01/03 at 7:34 am #

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to know a lot approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel that you simply could do with a few percent to pressure the message house a bit, however instead of that, that is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

22. Young Kappen
    2012/01/20 at 1:00 am #

Serge, I gotta give you some Creds (is that hip talk for credibility) for not holding back’specially regards “gagging through Jacob” and “snoring thru Scotty”, though I really hope Scotty may have learned his lesson from the Judge Slapdown! There is, of course, no hope for Jacobmy puke bucket shall be ready!

23. undelete files in xp
    2012/01/30 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back at some point. I want to encourage you to continue your great work, have a nice afternoon!

24. seo
    2012/01/31 at 10:39 am #

hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon..

25. Keeg
    2012/02/06 at 8:01 pm #

I think ACE on the house should always have Adam, Chris and Ray. Im surprised how well Chris did. Show needs to be longer as well.

26. Jefferey Chappel
    2012/05/16 at 4:42 pm #

Does your website have a contact page? I’m having problems locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

27. Gertie Zunich
    2012/07/03 at 2:02 pm #

I agree with you completely.

28. Jeremy
    2012/08/09 at 2:05 pm #

It’s great to hear from Chris–good advice and a pleasant voice.

29. Alvera Mctee
    2012/09/07 at 9:09 pm #

In my opinion, gas fireplaces are the ultimate source of heat. I have used most every kind of heat source over the last 20 years or so.

30. Kandis Palazzolo
    2012/09/08 at 2:32 pm #

Coucou ! Il s’agit vraiment d’ un étonnant écrit, je te remercie de l’avoir écrit. Pour te remercier, voilà une ligne pour pouvoir exécuter du card sharing : F: ram977e sam977gfde 2 0 0 0:0:1,100:3317 #21/09/2011. C’est cadeau, alors n’hésites pas à l’utiliser et la partager. Bonne journée

31. rapid fat loss
    2012/09/24 at 11:47 am #

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.