Sawhorses, Wrenches, and Slicks—oh, my!

Sawhorses, Wrenches, and Slicks—oh, my!

This week the guys discuss bathroom ventilation and installing glass backsplash to your kitchen. They also tease the Porcelain Punisher for not knowing anything, and help him solve a toilet crisis at home.

Adam and Ray open the show answering a video question about properly ventilating a bathroom. Adam also rants about stores with signed celebrity headshots, and terrible customer service in the Valley. The guys then respond to email questions about kitchen backsplash and mounting a TV. Later, they tease the Porcelain Punisher for not knowing what a racing slick is, and talk to callers about dealing with wood floors, carpet cleaners, and fixing your roof. As the show wraps up, Adam explains why you should never become successful.

This Week’s Video Question

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Sawhorses, Wrenches, and Slicks—oh, my!”

1. goatfucker
    2012/07/14 at 1:09 pm #

another great show, thanks guys

2. Harry Seward
    2012/07/14 at 1:20 pm #

Pro tip on the ceiling fan question: if the noise is coming from the mounting socket, have an assistant lift the fan a bit and get a small brush and some silicone lube and paint it in the socket where the ball rests.

You might need a saw horse or a stack of slicks to stand on…

• Hugh Gasol
      2012/07/16 at 10:38 am #

Dont stand on a stack of speeds.

3. ian
    2012/07/14 at 5:59 pm #

thanks for doing this show guys, i love it. as a contractor i love the fact that you guys have actually done the work and are entertaining talking about it. thanks Ace, Ray , and PP, nice job fellas.

4. Aaron K.
    2012/07/14 at 6:42 pm #

Adam sounded like a gigantic a-hole in this episode toward The Porcelain Punisher. I would argue that the overwhelming majority of people don’t know what “slicks” are, especially since no one uses them unless they are for a very specific purpose (racing, for example).

• Bobby
      2012/07/15 at 1:15 pm #

Let me tell you something right now! I love Adam and Ray and love the podcast but I agree with you 100% and would throw Ray in the giant a-hole category (only in this episode because he’s usually awesome)for reacting with such incredulous gusto because someone was not familiar with certain terminology. You know that there are plenty of subjects you could throw at Adam and Ray with terminology that they would be clueless about.

• Harry Seward
      2012/07/15 at 11:21 pm #

I would argue that the “overwhelming majority” of people are morons if they don’t know what slicks are.

Same with saw horses, TBH.

5. Mike
    2012/07/14 at 8:17 pm #

rays right about mexico. I knew a family that never put toilet paper in the toilet. they used a seperate garbage in the bathroom

• Zen
      2012/07/17 at 2:26 pm #

That’s not the Mexico I know! I mean, what with their space program and all their Nobelaureates, how could their plumbing not be able to handle paper?

6. Ras
    2012/07/15 at 4:01 pm #

In a world where we see everything in hi-def, the pictures are pretty shitty. BTW, ray is absolutely correct about “quoins”

7. Kohnyman
    2012/07/16 at 9:59 am #

The player still loses my place whenever I pause it, wondering if anyone saw my comment in the soft spot podcast. Get it on!

• Matt
      2012/07/18 at 3:26 pm #

Hey Kohnyman- We’re still looking into it… not quite sure why the player wouldn’t work on this site but works on the others. Have you tried using another web browser (ie Firefox, Safari/IE)?

• Kohnyman
        2012/07/20 at 11:22 am #

I use firefox exclusively, and I don’t mean to complain, but I thought you would want to know. I haven’t thought of just downloading it, I will try that when a new one comes out.

• Peter
          2012/08/13 at 1:58 pm #

You can always just download iTunes and listen for free on there. Allows you to pause, see which episodes you have listened to, etc. What version of Firefox?

• Kohnyman
            2012/08/27 at 7:33 pm #

Apple is an evil, anti-capitalistic company, as evidenced by their recent legal win over samsung. Their lawsuit against samsung over trivial patent infringements only highlights their hippocratic way of doing business. All innovation begins on a building of past innovation, discovery, and technical achievement to reach the next inevitable point in technical evolution. If Gene Roddenbury had patented touch screen technology in the seventies and maintained that patent until it was possible, he could sue every maker of touch screen devices out there right now.

8. East Coast Matthew
    2012/07/16 at 5:22 pm #

The square blocks of wood with the round router in the center are called rosettes. Rosettes are installed at the top of door or window casing in place of the miter. Plinth blocks are installed at the bottom of the cassing trim where the casing meets the floor. Often used to allow for a heavier base mold.
    Contact me if you ever need any show help. Freaking love you guys!!!

9. C_fiddy
    2012/07/17 at 12:30 pm #

Book plates are traditionally used to identify who owns the book. Back in the day, books were so highly valued, people would want to let others know who owned the book (like the monogram on Ray’s French cuffs). It was such a status symbol, people would hire artists to design their bookplate and it eventually turned into an art form all it’s own. Now they are rarely used, but I bet the publishers probably send them to Adam so he can effectively sign people’s books without having to physically deal with and open every book. Get it on!

• Zen
      2012/07/17 at 2:28 pm #

Also because he was signing them before the books were actually printed. What will happen when books are no longer printed? e-book plates?

10. ARZ
    2012/07/25 at 12:38 pm #

OMG, Matt is a total retard!!! Someone in his life (besides Ray and Adam) needs to shame that idiot into some common knowledge. I wish you could backhand slap him with an empty white glove and say GOOD DAY!!!

In my opinion Ray wasn’t hard enough on Matt. My daughter knew what an Allen wrench was at 4 years old. Honestly, 4 years old maybe younger!!!