Vote for Tyvek

Vote for Tyvek

This week the guys discuss garage improvements, the power of generators, and the days when people did bad things to cats.

At the top of the show, Adam and Ray talk more about the display of Adam’s Paul Newman car at the studio. They also talk about Ray’s recent appearance at last week’s Mangria party. Next up, the guys respond to a video question about ‘freedom doors’, and answer email questions about generators and Adam’s super-garage. Calls this week range from garage fix ups, to building desks, to mounting and displaying a giant tire. As the show wraps up, the guys offer advice on the best ways to learn Construction 101 (besides listening to this podcast of course).

This Week’s Video Question

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Vote for Tyvek”

1. Ryan Grennan
    2012/11/10 at 8:32 am #

There is a lot of bare space in the middle of the Newman car. Have you thought about filling that space with a poster or framed photos. Technical drawings might be cool as well, and Ray is right back-lighting would be nice.

2012/11/10 at 3:25 pm #

Freedom Door Guy, Strike side is where the latches and bolts go IN. The rounded bolt Strikes that brass. The Set side is the door from which the bolts protrude, when engaged, where the lock Set lives. You can move them both up and down, a bit. Also, lock at your tool. No, the other one. Is the allen or torx driver a bit worn looking? A quick touch-up on a grinder or a belt sander to grind off the worn portion and you can have fresh edges for fitting into fasteners. Maybe you are using the wrong size, but, in my experience, you also may be using a worn bit.

John building a desk. Don’t.

Eric, I don’t know where you are, but it sounds like the southeast. Ace is right, but overlooked an option. Hire a guy that knows what he is doing to walk through with you. Not a handyman, but a real contractor. Buy him lunch and pay him $25 an hour to walk through a house with you, and keep his mouth shut. You need an older guy that has seen it all and can keep his mouth shut, just act like he’s holding your clipboard. Far cheaper than going to a school and many fewer hours devoted to class time. I’m not for hire, but if you’re anywhere near me I will do it for free, a couple of times, to help you get the idea. The quality of the lunch is important. I’m a scientist, but I get paid to fix commercial buildings and large-scale residential projects, and don’t mind helping people out. I just hate to watch structures become damaged.

If you find the right person, in the south, $25 an hour is a fair wage. Buy their gas and meals. Pay them drive time. Forget the internet, because your company and your customers can access the internet. You need a skilled person to walk through job sites with you, now and then, that is working for you, as a person. Much cheaper and a better learning experience. If you want, I’ll give you a freebie and try to steer you towards somone good in the southeast that will give you some back up.

• Andrew Martin
      2012/11/11 at 7:49 pm #

Chris – Thanks for the ideas. I have new allens in metric and standard, and it seems like the channel is graduated somehow. Narrower at where it should engage. That made me try Torx because it fits the shape better.

It’s a fully pre-hung metal frame, so the shimming behind the hinges probably is a no-go. I was thinking of pulling the casing and pushing the frame in from the outside. Probably time to call a pro if the WD40 idea doesn’t get me anywhere.

• riprappinronnie
      2012/11/26 at 7:17 am #

Bringing in a pro who will pretend to be your clipboard holder is perfect….maybe throw a limp in there and a wobbly neck so no one will think he is compotent.

3. mnoswad1
    2012/11/10 at 9:56 pm #

What the eff kind of job does the reverse lap flashing caller have in the construction industry? Was he an inspector? what ever he is doing, I am flabbergasted that he had to call into a podcast to get information on flashing details. If you don’t know what your selling or looking at…….please don’t fake it……you’ll ruin somebody’s project whit your incompetence.

And to that point…..asking anyone from southern california to comment on flashing, drainage, roofing, vapor barriers, heating, gutters, rain, snow……etc, is a waste of time. Adam and Ray should recuse themselves from answering any of these questions. In southern cal, these details are simply not of big consequence if you get them wrong. In the rest of the country, poorly detailed techniques will ruin a structure after one season.

Stucco, shear wall, tile and masonry, strike side, butt side, spiders on the bedroom ceiling, painted floors……Adam and Ray…….stick to what you actually experience in southern california. When was the last time it snowed 20 inches? rained for a week? Spanned 40 degrees F in the course of a day? -20 in the winter, 100+ in the summer? Build a system to handle that.

good times, welcome back to the internet.

4. Hugh
    2012/11/17 at 4:56 am #

Woo hoo the sites back!

Like the Paul Newman on the wall. And I love that garage ceiling. My garage isn’t fully enclosed so we have a mosquito problem.

Get it on!

5. Rob Walker
    2013/05/29 at 9:40 am #

There are some attention-grabbing time limits on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There’s some validity but I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely