Building A Bridge To Asshole Island

Building A Bridge To Asshole Island

This week Adam and Ray chat about lifting driveways, window replacement, and why homeowner’s associations cause more problems than they solve.

Adam opens the show complimenting Ray on his solo-hosting job last week. The guys discuss being confused by people’s last names, and why Ray may resemble Andy Warhol. They also respond to a video question about using screws vs. ring shank nails, and then answer an email question about a driveway being lifted by a tree root. Later, fans call in with questions about insulation, replacing windows, and finishing a basement under a condo. As the show wraps up, Adam rants about homeowner’s associations, and the guys help a caller fix his toilet.

This Week’s Video Question

Adam & Ray’s Tool Kit Gift Guide

Click our Tool Gift Guide, tell a friend about the show, and please support our sponsors.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Building A Bridge To Asshole Island”

1. Paul Froelich
    2013/04/21 at 10:53 am #

This show was a solid triple.

Last week with Ray as host was Roy Hobbs’ hit into the stadium lights at the end of The Natural.

Stay hungry, Oldhafer.

2. Dave the Plumber
    2013/04/22 at 1:13 pm #

Hey Fellas, Good call on the bad flapper…except, I would advise not using a shitty aftermarket flapper in your shitter. OEM Flappers last much longer and fit better. You wouldn’t put shitty Chinese aftermarket brake pads on your Ford Dually would you? No. You’d use slightly less shitty OEM pads that, although made in China, at least had a round eye standing next to the assembly line eating egg rolls and putting his giant sized American glove over the top of beer bottle as it passes him on the line heading for the capping station…but I digress. Here’s a link to the Kohler Toilet Service Parts online parts guide–it’s all you need if you own a Kohler. I’m sure other brands have parts lists, but this one is about the best I’ve seen.

Remember, Shit goes downhill, farts go uphill, and payday is Friday!

3. Roger the Engineer
    2013/04/25 at 11:02 am #

Looking at the cut trusses I have to ask if an engineer was involved in the design. If so, OK do what was on the drawings he gave you. If not, No Bueno! You can’t cut those trusses without making sure what you are doing is going to work structurally. It is not a homeowner project. Loads are being collected and redistributed when the trusses are cut and supported by headers as seen in the video. The loads have to be “chased” from the roof to the foundations, and stability issues need to be considered.

4. Dave the Plumber
    2013/04/25 at 6:46 pm #

I’m with Roger the Engineer…YIKES. A truss is an engineered member, not dissimilar to one side of a suspension bridge: and, from what I can see, there is no clear load transfer from roof down. I see 2 “web” sections with 2 different load distribution directions supported by a single 2 x 12ish with no clear indication of where all that load is being transferred. Mr. Paxton please call an Engineer as you family will live under (and on) this. Don’t get in the dog house by turning your house into one!

5. TrimCat
    2013/04/30 at 11:59 am #

He’s building a pretty good sized dormer from the looks of it which means two things:
    1. Unless he lives in the middle of a Louisiana swamp, he probably has a building permit, WHICH MEANS, in most cases, he will have to have an architect stamped set of plans, WHICH MEANS, the cut trusses will have been accounted for.
    2. “Dormer” means that eventually those trusses won’t be there at all, therefore the whole engineering part of it is moot. If I had to guess, I would say the 2 x 12ish members you see there are temporary bracing.

6. Roger the Engineer
    2013/04/30 at 3:35 pm #

TrimCat,

Assuming someone has a permit just because they start a renovation project is assuming way too much. I must ask if you have an engineering or construction background. Because, frankly, you don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s not my house and not my problem, I just don’t want folks proceeding with something that is dangerous.

7. Architect Todd
    2013/04/30 at 11:54 pm #

The Squeeky floors are the least of this guys worries. . . .He might have it figured out via an engineer but the process seems all wrong. A for effort but A good snow and some wind wont help him.

Also, Adam was right…something is sinking on the slab question. No tree can lift a slab like that. My bet, the Slab is sinking on the end away from the garage and bucking up at the garage. Like a raft over loaded on one end. The original builder probably used crap fill near the street.

8. Architect Todd
    2013/05/01 at 12:32 am #

….not hat channel.. . . “Z” Channel.

9. newsmax
    2014/02/11 at 9:37 pm #

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!
    I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I guess
    for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

Feel free to surf to my web page: newsmax