Other Ray

Other Ray

Recorded on Ray’s birthday, this week the guys talk about Ray’s long lost half-brother, houses with too much water damage, and a brand new segment: Ray’s Tips and Hints.

Adam opens the show wishing Ray a happy birthday, and talking to him about why Ray doesn’t have any kids. They discuss the ‘Doug Benson Lifestyle’ and also Ray’s long lost half-brother, ‘Other Ray’. Next up, Ray introduces a brand new segment, and the guys respond to this week’s video question. Later they take phone calls about light placement, post-Katrina water damage, and the best methods for sanding wood floors. As the show wraps up, Adam talks about the latest Full Tard Gary mess-up, and the guys discuss how to make your garage floor look cool.

For more on today’s guest, visit http://MarkSteines.com, or follow him on Twitter @MarkSteines.

This Week’s Video Questions

Adam & Ray’s Tool Kit Gift Guide

Click our Tool Gift Guide, tell a friend about the show, and please support our sponsors.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Other Ray”

2013/06/01 at 11:20 am #

Video Guy, Adam’s onto something. That’s a completely steel support structure, which makes no sense, because it is NOT supporting a shallow steel tray, filled with concrete. It’s supporting what appears to be a slab of concrete, set on those I-beams. Somebody formed that concrete slab somewhere else, then used a crane to hoist it over and set it on top of that steel frame. Very unusual. It’s much cheaper to fasten a steel tray to the top of the posts/ I-beams, then pour the concrete in place. Cranes are an extra expense. That slab of concrete is “efflorescing”, what Ray called effervescing. Efflorescing means “making flowers”, the name for that salt leaching out of the concrete. The natural salt leaches out when moisture is seeping through. Have some pros seal the crap out of the top of the concrete pad. Scratch, clean out the cracks underneath the pad, really clean, and fill them with something. Ray would probably use Epoxy. Don’t worry too much about strength and safety issues, as long as you get the top sealed up. You don’t have any rust stains leaching down, indicating that the steel in the concrete is wasting away and that concrete is only around 7 years old, so get it sealed well on top. Then worry about the cosmetic problem down below when you get to it. You don’t seem to have “spalling” yet, the other thing Ray mentioned. That would be when actual chunks of concrete are falling out; I didn’t see any spalling. Catch it now and you probably won’t get spalling for a very long time. Stop that water from leaching down and you may never get spalling.

2. mnoswad1
    2013/06/01 at 5:51 pm #

Hey fellow listeners……..please stop calling into the show and asking Adam and Ray about water, flooding, flashing, roof leaks, waterproofing, drainage, snow, gutters, rain, vapor barriers, insulation, etc…………anyone who lives in California wont know anything about that stuff. They’ll never experience the real long term effects of water damage in that climate.

3. Glenn McGee
    2013/06/01 at 5:56 pm #

Happy Birthday Ray, 50 years young! Stay gold ponyboy.

4. big jim
    2013/06/01 at 7:22 pm #

Mazel tov! Ya look like a million bucks, Ray! No doubt, all those soothing baths have had the desired effect.

Also, please more woodworking. Another Nick Offerman appearance, perchance?

5. big jim
    2013/06/01 at 7:25 pm #

Or maybe another member of the Offerman Woodshop? There’s a veritable team of woodworkers buzzing away over there.

6. tdogg
    2013/06/02 at 8:30 am #

Love you Real Ray!

Hope you have/had a happy b-day, if you ever quit this broadcast I will stop listening!!!!

Rock on DTR!!!!!!

7. kcrider
    2013/06/02 at 4:39 pm #

Not being a parent is selfish thing Adam? By extension I guess that means all those people “shitting out kids” are selfless? How does that explain your parents? How does hiring someone else to raise your kids make you such a generous person? There are many times I am with you on your thinking but you’re on loose ground with this one logically. Maybe your near retard IQ score is a warning that your ability to make money isn’t the end all-be all indicator of smarts you think it is (especially in the entertainment business)?

Mostly though, I think this dumping on Ray thing you’re doing is a total scumbag move, especially on his birthday for fuck’s sake. I just hope it’s not a calculated move to make the podcast more successful. Either way, I think I am done with this one.

Have you listened to your wife’s podcast lately? If you aren’t divorced within a year I will be shocked. Then, if karma plays out, your kids will grow up to write a book about what an empty suit you were as a parent. Just a thought; stop this hyper-fixation you have with how you were raised. Most of us had crappy parents in one way or another; we just don’t whine about it for the rest of our lives (baby boomers being the notable exception).

P.S. Sorry for the interruption (if you even read these things, or can). You can either “get on with your life” or back to telling Ray how you are the pinnacle of human development and then looking to the bobble-heads for validation now. Douche-bag. Ray, you are a better friend then I would be.

• TheHeadHunter
      2013/06/04 at 11:51 am #

If you don’t like it, why don’t you start a podcast with Ray. I’m sure you’ll love him dearly after working closely with him for a while.

Why don’t ALL of you STFU and get a life? That would be a good start. I love losers that sit back and say, I wouldn’t have done it that way Or I’d do that differently.

Oh, and becoming a Self-Made millionaire is the BEST benchmark for intelligence. I love broke loser idiots that sit back and say, money isn’t an indicator of intelligence…. Uhm, newslfash, yeah, it really is. Making it and Keeping it.

• kcrider
        2013/06/04 at 5:38 pm #

You gotta love people who have their heads so far up celebrity ass, they can’t stand to have anybody contradict their hero. Maybe its you who needs to get a life here?

I am happy with the success I’ve had in my chosen profession and live comfortably on the income I earn from it. I don’t think this makes me a genius though. If making a shitload of dough makes your dick hard, then more power too you. I can’t say anything you wrote would convince me your some kind of savant though (not even the idiot kind).

You can get back to worshiping Adam now. Who knows, maybe he sends such a chill up your leg you’ll shoot a load in your pants. Happy hunting.

Heres hoping Adam takes this Ray thing offline. It isn’t entertaining and as one of the other posters touched on, maybe there’s a more respectful way to handle a friend? The other shows still got it for the most part but it seems like the ones that have Adam too often become just a vehicle to air out his personal shit with friends, family, and employees. There are far more interesting things to complain about. I hope it stops because if not, the only exceptional comedy content left that isn’t self-masturbatory, star-fucking, crap will be SouthPark.

• TheHeadHunter
          2013/06/05 at 6:35 am #

It must be hard for you, writing, whilst having to wear that helmet and those mittens that keep you from poking out your own eyes. What I’m doing is the OPPOSITE of star-fucking, it’s Troll-Shitting. I don’t care about Adam’s celebrity, I care about kicking loser-idiot-basement dwellers like yourself. Don’t forget, you’ve entered Adam’s playground to denigrate him; he didn’t log onto your Facebook profile and critique YOUR use of a mop.

Oh, and if YOU’RE going to attack someone, please do a little light reading on homophones; specifically, your and you’re. Now, while they might sound the same to you, they have different meanings. I’ve provided examples but study it on your own time, I’m busy with more promising things… like teaching algebra to a potted plant.

• listener
      2013/06/10 at 1:58 pm #

I aggree with kcrider…stop being an asshole to Ray and acting like you’re so much better than him. If you didn’t have comedy you would be doing the same job as Ray and have the same net worth. Its like a ball player bragging about his wealth…if he wasn’t a gifted athlete he would be an average guy.

• Neal
      2013/07/13 at 5:33 am #

Drip. It’s all in fun.

8. Brian
    2013/06/03 at 7:12 am #

I agree with kcrider 100%.

Adam came off as a colossal asshole on this one and the ripping on Ray is getting old. Not to mention Adam disapproves of his suggestions to problems 90% of the time. Can’t believe most of Adam’s friends haven’t deserted him. I’m unsubscribing from all the podcasts, baby. Good luck in the future.

(That “baby” crap has got to go as well.)

• TheHeadHunter
      2013/06/04 at 11:53 am #

In the immortal words of G.K. Chesterton “Eat Dick, Brian”… I’m paraphrasing, of course.

9. Rachel
    2013/06/03 at 8:25 am #

Adam should totally read a book that I recently read, called “What to Expect When No One’s Expecting.” The author explores a whole confluence of social and cultural issues that contribute to the fact that people aren’t having kids anymore. Its an interesting read and brings up a lot of stuff that you might not think of as being a reason to not have kids.

10. Steven
    2013/06/03 at 11:13 am #

I am also 50 and as a kid my father left for a French woman and he had another son and named him Stephane. I see Stephane every year or so when he is in the States and we both have a good laugh about how big a D-Bag our father was for doing that.

Ray’s story made my day.

11. JMEdison
    2013/06/03 at 10:48 pm #

I think you can show respect and affection for your friend, or else part ways. Enough okay?

12. Enough
    2013/06/06 at 4:37 am #

A little bit of Ray goes a long way. Too many people view him as a sympathetic figure instead of the loser he is.

13. matthew knaus
    2013/06/12 at 1:33 pm #

get it on happy birthday ray – hey guys long time listener im a 24 year old construction worker ive been doing it for the better part of 7 years is there any way you guys can help me find a good job i keep getting scerd over from one contractor to another i might not have money do i can repair the pirate ship to keep it a float.

14. Paul Froelich
    2013/06/23 at 4:16 pm #

Happy Belated, Ray…Don’t take this stuff too hard. God Bless ya, take care, big fan.

15. Clearly understanding the above blog a number will like it as it’s accurate so it’s good spotting a blogger that’s writing things on this online to review.

16. Interestingly understanding the OPs blog a number will believe this because its true so its good to read from a webmaster that’s showing this for all to see to see